Friday, December 08, 2006

Eyelash Extensions--the Next Beauty Fad





Ever wonder how stars like Jennifer Lopez, Nicole Kidman, Lindsay Lohan and Madonna have long lush lashes that seem to be flawless? Most wear eyelash extensions. This new lash extension craze presently sweeping Hollywood actually started in Japan.

I just got back from my monthly eyelash maintenance at Salon de Beaute Araki. I am going to write about my two incredible eyelash doctors, Kazumi Araki and Yoshiko Mochida. The older one gets, the lazier one becomes to spend time in front of the mirror to pretty oneself up. What first interested me to check out this new “art” called eyelash-extensions is the fact that I won't have to spend that extra five minutes in the morning to curl and apply mascara on my eye lashes! You can dump mascara for good! This was good enough motivation for me. However, despite my hopes, and having tried eyelash extensions at several salons, I was always discouraged by the way they looked. You know, like those fake eyelashes my mom used to wear in the 60s. Moreover, it just felt really weird and uncomfortable. Until I met these two young women…whose skills are absolutely amazing. They really can perform magic. First of all, the lashes look natural, of course a bit too long for Asian eyes but…most of all, they are so light that you forget that you have 50 or so extremely fine silk lashes glued on. What I want to rant and rave about is their technique to shape the eyelashes to look so naturally curled without using curlers or perming the lashes. This is actually quite difficult and cannot be performed by anyone. They run a small cozy salon near Ebisu station but since celebrities started to recommend them in beauty magazines, it has become a popular spot for women who desperately need to boost up their lashes. You will have to book way in advance but I think it is definitely worth it! (FYI, I am using the shortest extensions that match the length of my own lashes to get a natural look. Touch ups needed every 2-3 weeks) Sorry, promise to write about serious anti-aging stuff next…

http://salondebeautearaki.com/silkylash.html

2 comments:

Taiko Tari said...

Hey Rie, how interesting. I never knew you had those eye lashes extention. Will pay close attention for next time I see you.

I don't think I will ever want to pay a visit though, when it comes to primping, my motto is pay as little money as possible for add-ons.

Dr. Hirahata said...

They are so natural, most people don't notice. If you don't need to, don't bother. It's quite costly.