Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Ganbanyoku, a great way to DETOX!


Ganbanyoku, which translates as “bedrock bathing” has been the raging health and beauty trend in Japan. Lying on this heated slab of rock is an ultimate healing experience. Unlike the physical challenge of staying in a sauna, you easily fall asleep enveloped in the comfort of the warm rock emitting negative ions. Apparently, this special rock is highly concentrated with minerals and emits far-infrared rays that warm up your body from the inside. As you doze off, you are surprised to wake up with your gown literally dripping with sweat. I don’t sweat much due to slow metabolism but this interesting rock seems to work on people like myself. You lie on the rock for about 10-15 minutes, sweat profusely, take a break, go back and lie down for another 10-15 minutes and repeat this set for 3 times. I must admit I have never sweated so much in my life! The sweat that is induced from infrared and negative ions seems to be very watery and un-sticky, and detoxes the body of unnecessary metabolites and excess water. The result is activated metabolism, better blood circulation, stress relief and deep relaxation. People say they were able to get rid of stiff shoulders, back pains, etc. The rejuvenation of body cells also induces extra benefits like weight loss and silky smooth skin. More than my actual experience, I was convinced of its detox effect when I saw my sister after Ganbanyoku, her face much smaller, looking five years younger!

She says that the best Ganbanyoku experience she had was at the Hilton Resort and Spa in Odawara. (Apparently, the optimal combination of the rock and room temperature makes a difference.) My elegant grandmother, whom we all love, has been aging gracefully and she just turned ninety years old. We all decided that it would be fun to invite grandma to a birthday treat at this luxurious spa outside Tokyo. I didn’t think she would actually join us in this hot stone spa but she was actually eager to try. As I lay next to her, I was worried if we were doing the right thing to her poor ninety year old body. Every time we got out for a break, sipped water and hydrated ourselves, she would quietly complain that she was not sweating as much as we were. But she was doing pretty good for her age!

No comments: